Thursday 2 October 2014

Potato Rosti

Potato is pretty much my favourite food. You can do so many things with it... make chips, mash it, cut it up into bits and fry it, bake it, you name it. One of my favourite things to do is to grate it all up and mix it with other yummy things and make a rosti. Which is sort of like a grated potato hash brown kinda thing. It's incredible. My sister wanted to know how I make my rostis, so I decided to make an informative post about exactly how I make my rostis. You could probably use any vegetable to make these, as long as you can grate it. Sweet potato rosti would be amazing, and I think zucchini rosti would be too... yum. I need to experiment. (Note: have since tried sweet potato and potato together, works nicely! Zucchini's sugar content must be higher because it cooks way quicker and tends to burn before the potato cooks.)


Equipment:
Vegetable peeler
Grater
Fork
Frypan
Bowl
Plate

Ingredients:
Potato
Onion
Seasonings (I choose chilli, salt and pepper)
Oil

Time to prepare: Not long
Time to cook: About the same
Feeds: Depending on many factors, including how many potatoes you use, either one hungry girl or up to three people with a regular appetite.

STEP ONE
Prepare as many potatoes as you think are suitable for the amount of people who are going to be eating the rosti. This may range from one potato for one person, if you're not that hungry, to three potatoes for one person (which I must admit I have done several times). You'll need to peel the potato and also grab an onion (or half an onion if you're only using one potato) and peel that.


STEP TWO
Get your grater and grate the potato and onion. Grating an onion is really hard, but you'll get there. Lumps are fine. 


STEP THREE
Seasoning. You can use any flavours you like, really. I like to go with chilli (loootssss of chilli) and the old salt and pepper. Can't go wrong. You could go with Italian flavours such as oregano, basil and parsley, or turn it into a roast potato feel with some rosemary and thyme, or go middle eastern and chuck in some cumin and coriander. The world is your oyster mushroom.


STEP FOUR
Mix it all together with a fork. Or some other utensil, I don't mind.


STEP FIVE
Heat up your frypan with some oil in it. Doesn't matter what kind of oil. My favourite is olive oil. This one is particularly yummy as it's infused with garlic and makes the kitchen smell fabulous. Oh and your food tastes good, too.


STEP SIX
Chuck your potato mix in the pan.


STEP SEVEN
Use a fork to gently mash down the mix so it's evenly spread over the bottom of the pan. If you just use one potato it'll be a smaller one that doesn't take up the whole bottom of the pan, but if you use two or three potatoes it may take up the whole bottom of the pan. #science.


STEP EIGHT
Once the rosti is flattened out evenly, use your fork to push in the edges (of a circle?!) to make it round and beautiful.


STEP NINE
Let your rosti cook for a few minutes. You'll be able to tell it's cooking well when it's getting brown around the edges (again with the edges...) If you're a pro chef you can do that fancy pancake flippy thing using the pan to flip it over. If not, use a large spatula or something and flip it to cook on the other side.


STEP TEN
Let it cook on the other side. How good does that look! Oh man. My mouth is watering. You can flip it back over to check it's brown on the other side.


STEP ELEVEN
Put it on your plate and ENJOY.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the recipe! I used it tonight... They were fab x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you can make this for me.
    I really hate grating onions. ;)

    ReplyDelete